One of the benefits of living in Southern California is the abundance of sunshine. Many people have backyards with different types of fruit trees: lemon, peach, orange, loquat, pear, passion fruit.....Even though I don't have any, I am blessed to know friends who do : )
What can I with so much fruit, especially lemon, other than making lemonade? Here is a great recipe to make lemon bars with the right balance of sweetness and tanginess.
Ingredients to make about 18 bars, in a 13x9" baking pan:
218g all-purpose flour 中筋麵粉
170g unsalted butter, softened 無鹽牛油，室溫
80g powdered sugar 糖粉
32g cornstarch 粟粉
1 tbsp lemon zest 檸檬屑
¾ tsp salt 鹽
Lemon Ricotta Filling 檸檬芝士餡:
8oz fresh whole milk ricotta cheese, drained 新鮮芝士，隔去水份
4 eggs, beaten 蛋，打散
200g sugar 糖
3 tbsp all-purpose flour 中筋麵粉
2 tbsp lemon zest 檸檬屑
⅔ cup lemon juice, strained 檸檬汁，隔篩
¼ tsp salt 鹽
To make the crust:
1) Lightly butter a 13x9 baking pan and line with parchment paper.
2) In a food processor, pulse flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and salt to combine.
3) Add butter and process to blend until the mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse meal.
4) Pour the mixture into the lined baking pan.
5) Press firmly with fingers or the back of a spoon into an even layer.
6) Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F.
7) Bake until lightly brown, 30-35 minutes.
8) Cool slightly on a rack.
9) Reduce oven temperature to 325F.
To make the filling:
1) While the crust is baking, using a blender or a food processor blend ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt.
2) Give the batter a good stir before pouring into the warm crust. Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling feels firm when touched lightly.
3) Cool on a rack to room temperature, at least 2 hours, before cutting into squares. Dust with powdered sugar to serve.