After posting the the Best Turnip Cake, I feel the need to update my old pineapple pastry recipe as well. Pineapple pastry is one of my blog's most popular posts. It has been quoted and used to compare with other bloggers' recipes by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids. I admire her spirit to search the best and not settle for mediocrity.
How does this new recipe different from the old one? By having more egg in this new version, it basically produces a crust which brown more nicely than the old one. The higher percentage of milk powder contributes to a richer crust as well.
As for the filling, I think what people dread most is the time it takes to cook the pineapple to a thick paste. It is a real test of your patience! Continue reading below as I show you how to cut down the cooking time.
上次寫完 最好味的蘿蔔糕 之後，使我覺得另一個很受歡迎的鳳梨酥食譜也是時候要更新一下。這個食譜很榮幸被另外一個網站 用來與其他食譜比較，很佩服及欣賞作者精益求精的精神。
Ingredients to make 10 pastries 做十個的材料:
94g/6.6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened 無鹽牛油
25g/2 tbsp sugar 糖
31g/2/3 whole egg, slightly beaten 全蛋，打散
44g/5.5 tbsp whole milk powder 全脂奶粉
113g/1 cup+1tbsp cake flour 低筋麵粉
Pineapple Filling 鳳梨餡:
400g pineapple flesh 鳳梨肉
150g/0.75 cup sugar 糖
15g/2 tbsp cornstarch 粟粉
3 tbsp pineapple juice 鳳梨汁
1) Cut up the pineapple into small chunks. Briefly process it using a food processor but do not leave it on long enough to puree it.
2) Put the pineapple on a colander to drain as much juice as possible. Save 3 tbsp juice and mix with the cornstarch.
3) Use a nonstick saucepan, add pineapple, sugar and cook under medium heat. Stir occasionally for the first few minutes. Stir frequently when more moisture has evaporated.
4) Remove from heat. Add the cornstarch slurry and mix well.
5) Return to heat and cook until it turns to a thick paste. Let it cool completely. Refrigerate overnight.
6) Beat room temperature butter with sugar for a few minutes or until it is creamy.
7) Add the whole egg and mix to incorporate.
8) Add the milk powder and cake flour. Mix until there is no dry flour. Wrap it and refrigerate for a few hours to overnight.
1) Cut the dough into 10 equal portions, about 30g each. Divide the pineapple fillings about 20g each.
2) Flatten a dough ball between two pieces of plastic wrap. Roll it out and put in a filling. Seal tight and put inside a mold. Repeat with the rest.
3) Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 minutes. Flip over the pastries and bake for another 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack. Best to serve next day at room temperature.
1) The ratio of crust to filling is 3:2. If you desire a thinner crust with more filling, use 1:1 and adjust the quantity of ingredients accordingly.
2) Prepare more filling than you need. It is difficult to judge how much to begin with because every pineapple is different. Drain as much juice from the pineapple as possible to cut down on cooking time.
1) 菠蘿去皮去心切碎 (如用食物處理機，攪碎便可，不要攪成泥狀，食時沒有口感)。
5) 放入已預熱至350 F焗爐，焗約10分鐘，反轉，再焗10分鐘，涼後脫模。