This is my third update of some of the older recipes/posts (the other two are: Pineapple Cake/Pastry, Turnip Cake). The old recipe uses an aged dough, which takes a long time and a lot of patience. This new one is a lot simpler to make and does not require lye while the result is still soft and fluffy.
隨著鳳梨酥 及 羅蔔糕 食譜的更新，今次輪到馬拉糕了。舊的食譜 用麵種做，比較費時，這個新食譜比較簡單及不須加鹼水，也一樣鬆軟可口。
Recipe reference: 香港地道小食:麵食、糕點及特色小吃系列，中華廚藝學院
Ingredients to make an 8 inch cake:
112g cake flour 低筋麵粉
112g evaporated milk 花奶
3 large eggs 大蛋
112g sugar 糖
28g vegetable oil 菜油
3g instant yeast 酵母
20g custard powder 吉士粉
5g baking powder 泡打粉
8g whole milk powder 全脂奶粉
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 雲呢哪香油
1/2 tsp molasses 糖漿/糖蜜
1) In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and flour. Add yeast, baking powder, custard powder and milk powder. Whisk to mix.
2) Add evaporated milk and the eggs. Whisk to combine.
3) Add oil and whisk to make a smooth batter.
4) Put the batter in a warm spot (77-80F) and let it rise for 2 hours.
5) Prepare a steamer and line a pan with parchment paper.
6) After two hours of fermentation, the batter should have visible little bubbles. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and steam for 25 minutes.
7) Insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake to make sure it is cook through. Remove from the steamer and let it cool down on a rack. Serve warm.
1) Adjust the fermentation time if the room is colder or warmer than 77F, longer time if cooler and shorter time if warmer. The correct fermentation temperature is critical.
2) The addition of molasses is for a darker color of the cake. It is optional.