I always get excited about learning, no matter if it is new knowledge, technology or, of course, new recipes.
Until recently, I did not know about this kind of bread, called Povitica. It is a Croatian sweet bread. For Croatians, Povitica is a very common gift between friends and families. This culture is very similar to gifting of mooncakes during Mid Autumn Festival for the Chinese.
Although Povitica is similar to cinnamon rolls here in America, it has its own characteristics. The dough needs to be rolled out as thin as possible and it does not need a lengthy second rise as in making regular yeast bread.
And the filling is decadent: lots and lots of ground walnuts with cinnamon and cocoa powder, all of my favorites. Perfect choice for the Holidays.
Please read the recipe and the notes at least once before you begin for best results.
Recipe modified from Passionate About Baking
Ingredients to make a 9x5 inch loaf:
280g/2 cups all purpose flour 普通麵粉
120ml/ ½ cup milk 牛奶
43g/3 tbsp sugar 糖
6g/1½ tsp instant yeast 即溶酵母
¾ tsp salt 鹽
1 large egg 大蛋
½ vanilla bean seed, optional 雲呢哪籽
30g/1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened 室溫無鹽牛油
280g/ 1¾ cups walnuts, ground 碎核桃
60ml/ ¼ cup milk 牛奶
58g unsalted butter 無鹽牛油
1 egg yolk 蛋黃
½ vanilla bean seed 雲呢哪籽
100g sugar 糖
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 可可粉
1 tsp cinnamon powder 肉桂粉
1) In the bowl of a stand mixer, put all the dough ingredients except salt and butter and mix on low speed until no dry flour is seen.
2) Add salt and knead for about 5 minutes (10 minutes if you are kneading manually). Add butter and knead until incorporated.
3) Put the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise until it doubles in volume.
4) While the dough is fermenting, prepare the filling. Add milk and butter in a small pot and bring to a boil. In a large bowl mix the rest of the filling ingredients. Pour in the hot milk mixture and mix well. You should have a spreadable paste.
5) Lay out a large piece of cloth on a large work surface (I used a large, clean pillow case). Sprinkle flour on it.
6) When the dough is ready, take it out and roll it out on the cloth. Roll it out as thin as possible. When it resists and shrinks back, let it rest for 5-10 minutes and continue.
7) Spread the filling on the thin dough.
8) Lift up the long side of the cloth and roll up the dough.
9) Oil a loaf pan and put the dough in. Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
10) While the dough is resting, turn on the oven to 350F.
11) Brush the dough with egg wash (whole egg, beaten). Bake the bread for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 300F and bake for 45 minutes.
12) Take the pan out from the oven and onto a rack. Let the bread stay inside the pan to cool for about 30 minutes.
13) Unmold the bread and continue to cool on a rack. Cut into thick slices with a serrated knife. Keep in room temperature for a few days or frozen for longer storage.
1) The dough has to be rolled out as thin as possible and baked immediately after a brief resting time.
2) A long baking time at a lower temperature is used to ensure the dough is properly baked through without browning too much.
3) Let the bread cool inside the pan after baking. The bread is heavy with all the filling. Taking it out while it is still hot may risk breaking it.
4) I strongly recommend using a large cloth for easy rolling of this long dough (over 2 feet).
1) 搓麵團：將麵團材料 (鹽及牛油除外) 混合成團，搓成球狀後加鹽，再用機搓約五分鐘，或手搓約十分鐘。再加牛油搓勻。