Sunday, November 29, 2015
Kabocha Squash Spice Cake (no added sugar) 日本南瓜蛋糕 (無添加白糖)
Kabocha is a variety of pumpkin which originates from Japan and can be found commonly in many Asian supermarkets. It is small and more meaty compared to other huge pumpkins. The flesh is creamy and sweet which makes it good for pairing with savory dishes like steamed spareribs or making desserts. The skin is also soft and edible after steaming or cooking.
In addition to the sweetness of the kabocha, this cake is also sweetened with Medjool dates. The dates give the cake a natural sweetness. Vegetable oil is used instead of butter, which makes it as healthy as ever.
This may be a good choice for your pumpkin pie alternative this season!
Recipe source: Baking with Less Sugar by Joanne Chang
Ingredients to make an 8 inch round cake:
120g kabocha squash, seeded 日本南瓜，去籽
160g Medjool dates 棗
½ tsp baking soda 梳打粉
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 雲呢哪香油
160g whole milk 全脂牛奶
100g vegetable oil 菜油
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger 薑末
2 large eggs, slightly beaten 蛋，打散
245g all purpose flour 普通麵粉
1 ½ tsp baking powder 泡打粉
½ tsp ground cinnamon 肉桂粉
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg 肉荳蔻粉
¼ tsp kosher salt 鹽
1) Cut the kabocha into chunks. Steam for 15 minutes or until soft. Use a fork to coarsely mash it.
2) Put the dates in a small bowl and cover with warm water. Add the baking soda and mix. Let it soften the skin of the dates for 15 minutes, then drain the water and remove the pits. Chop the dates finely.
3) Preheat oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper on the bottom of a springform pan. Spray the sides with oil and set aside.
4) In a small saucepan, add milk and kabocha puree and vanilla. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat.
5) In a large bowl, add the chopped dates, oil, ginger, kabocha puree. Mix well. Add the egg and blend until fully incorporated.
6) In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well until no dry flour is visible.
7) Pour the batter into the oiled springform pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a rack.