These little moon cakes are like jewels. I am so tempted to keep them only as ornaments, but they are also so delicious...
This year I have successfully developed two new fruity flavors--lychee and mango. They are made with real fruit puree, without artificial flavoring or preservatives.
Ingredients for 12 cakes, 75g each:
54g/5.5 tbsp glutinous flour 糯米粉
44g/4.5 tbsp rice flour 粘米粉
25g/2.5 tbsp wheat starch 澄麵
119g/9.5 tbsp sugar 糖
226g/1 cup milk 牛奶
24g/1.5 tbsp vegetable oil 菜油
Optional: food coloring 食物色素
Some cooked glutinous flour for dusting 適量熟糯米粉作手粉
1) Add sugar to milk and whisk. Sift the glutinous, rice flour and wheat starch together and add to the milk. Whisk to combine. Add vegetable oil and mix well (optional food coloring can be added at this time). Cover with plastic wrap and steam for 20 minutes.
2) Let it cool down to room temperature. Knead for a few minutes and divide it into 12 balls or about 40g each. Set aside.
Lychee/Mango Filling 茘枝或芒果餡:
100g split, peeled mung beans 去殼開邊綠豆
140g lychee or mango puree 茘枝或芒果蓉
20g vegetable oil 菜油
1 tbsp wheat starch mix with 1 tsp water 澄麵用一茶匙水開勻
1) Soak the beans in a bowl for a few hours to soften, preferably overnight, with a few changes of water. Put enough water to cover the beans and steam for 25-30 minutes or until soft. Put in a blender or food processor to blend until fine.
2) Weigh out 280g blended bean paste. Add lychee or mango puree and oil. Mix well.
3) Add the wheat starch and water to the paste.
4) Put a non-stick pan under medium heat. Cook the paste with frequent stirring for a few minutes or until some of the moisture has evaporated. Remove from heat and let it cool. Divide into 12 balls or 35g each. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
|do they look like Pac Men?|
Moon Cake Assembly:
1) Take one portion of dough and flatten it with a rolling pin or your hand. Put a ball of filling in and wrap the ends together. Seal it tightly.
2) Roll the ball in the cooked flour to prevent sticking. Put into the mold and press. Keep the moon cakes covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Freeze for longer storage.
1) The skin and filling can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to assemble.
2) Best to enjoy the cakes within 3-4 days. For longer storage, wrap them well and freeze.
3) If cooked glutinous flour is not available, simply put some raw glutinous flour in a pan and stir fry for a few minutes using medium heat. Let it cool before using.
將糖加入牛奶攪拌,所有粉類過篩, 再加入攪拌, 最後加菜油攪拌 (如喜歡加色素可加入), 蓋上保鮮紙,大火蒸廿分鐘至熟。待凉後搓幾分鐘至不再那麼黏手, 分割12份,每份約40g小塊, 滾圓備用。洗淨綠豆後用水浸幾小時, 最好浸過夜, 加入蓋過面之水,蒸約廿五至三十分鐘至軟, 放入攪拌器攪成蓉。取280g綠豆蓉,加入茘枝蓉或芒果蓉,加油攪勻, 用水開澄麵, 加入拌勻。放鍋內用中火再炒至稍微乾身便成,冷後最好放雪櫃雪硬身才用。預備好皮及餡料,分成十二等份,將一份皮壓平及薄,包入一份餡,收好口後,灑上手粉,放入模內壓出花紋便成。