Friday, June 27, 2014
Lychee Mousse Cake 茘枝慕斯蛋糕
Oh summer is here...this means there will be plenty of mangoes, peaches, plums, watermelons, and lychee around. Lychee is a tropical fruit that originates in China. Through global trading and local cultivation, many countries around the world can also enjoy this delicious, flavorful fruit.
This puree I used is imported from France but of course you can use fresh or canned lychee and puree it on your own.
one 9 inch chiffon cake 九寸雪紡蛋糕一個
286g lychee puree, sweetened 荔枝蓉，有糖
390g heavy whipping cream 重奶油
15g gelatin powder or sheets 魚膠粉或片
1) Cut the cake horizontally into 2 layers. Set aside.
2) For gelatin powder: sprinkle the powder onto 2 tbsp water. Let it bloom for a few minutes. Dissolve in microwave. For gelatin sheet: soak in cold water to soften.
3) Heat about 100g lychee puree in a small pot to 185F/85C or right before it simmers. Remove from heat and add the melted gelatin or softened sheets. Stir well. Add the rest of the puree and mix.
4) Beat heavy cream until it holds soft peaks.
5) Mix the puree with the cream and mix until well blended.
6) Put a piece of the cake on the bottom of a springform pan or cake ring. Pour about half of the mousse. Layer another piece of the cake and pour the rest of the mousse until it covers the whole cake.
7) Refrigerate until set.
1) Other kind of cake can be used as well.
2) I did not add any sugar in the mousse mixture because the puree is already sweetened.
3) Make sure to use cold cream (but not frozen) for effective beating.
3) 奶油要打發得好，一定要雪到冰凍 (但不是凍結)。