I am a big fan of jerky. It is a great snack to have while watching TV or to serve in a party. However, instead of American store-bought flavors I more particularly like jerky styled after Chinese flavors. It is more juicy and flavorful. The last time I visited Hong Kong, I had a great time satisfying my appetite! Too bad meat products are prohibited from entering or leaving the country, or otherwise I would have filled up my bags with them.
Here in America, you can only buy jerky that is made in this country. Those Chinese brands that you see in Asian grocery stores most likely are not made overseas.
Making it at home is far simpler than you would expect, with a low failure rate. You can easily choose a flavor you like without adding sodium nitrate or any preservatives!
|Pork Jerky with Black Pepper 黑椒豬肉乾|
Ingredients to make about one and a half pounds of pork jerky:
1.5 lb minced pork, preferably all lean meat 碎豬肉，最好全瘦
1.5 tbsp soy sauce 鼓油
1 tbsp rice wine 米酒
3 tbsp fish sauce 魚露
6 tbsp sugar 糖
3 tbsp honey 蜜糖
0.5 tsp five spice powder 五香粉
1 tsp salt 鹽
3 tbsp strawberry jam 草莓果醬
3 tbsp orange juice 橙汁
1 tsp freshly ground pepper 胡椒粉
1) Preheat oven to 400F.
2) Cut pork into small cubes and ground in a food processor until it becomes a paste. If a processor is not available, chop by hand or buy minced pork.
3) Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly in the food processor or in a mixing bowl with a spatula. If mixing by hand, mix in one direction only.
4) Put the marinated meat in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
5) Put a piece of parchment paper on the counter and put the minced pork on top. Then lay a piece of plastic wrap on top. Roll the meat out with a rolling pin until it is very thin, about 2 or 3 mm.
6) Remove the plastic wrap and put the meat, with the parchment paper still on the bottom, on a baking sheet (freshly ground black pepper can be sprinkle on top for a spicy taste).
7) Bake for 5-7 minutes. Using a tong, carefully lift the meat off of the parchment paper and flip it over to bake for another 5-7 minutes.
8) Brush honey and bake for another 2 minutes.
9) Turn to the other side and brush honey and bake for another 2 minutes.
10) Let it cool to room temperature. Cut into small pieces. It can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days. Bring it out to room temperature before serving.
1) It is normal for the meat to shrink and release some juice after baking.
2) It is important to roll out the meat in even thickness. A rolling pin with rings on both ends helps to produce even thickness throughout the meat.
3) The baking time is for your reference only. Thicker meat in large baking sheet needs more time, thinner ones less time. Keep an eye while the meat is in the oven. It may burn easily because of the presence of honey and sugar.
4) You can use other fruit jam and juice of your choice.
2) 肉漿要平均地擀開，在焗爐時才會受熱平均。太厚會變成焗肉餅啊 ^_^