"Back to the basics" is what I feel best to describe this sponge cake. As one of the most versatile cakes, it can be used as a base for many other forms of cake desserts, such as mousse cake.
I was inspired and challenged by a friend of mine who is very passionate in baking. Her persistent in doing it right set an example for me. In order to master a recipe, she sets a record of baking more than 10 cakes in a week.
Relatively speaking, I do not have much experience in making sponge cake with whole egg method and this may actually be my very first post on it. Whole egg whipping method with no other kind of leavening means whether the cake is successful or not solely depends on the stability of the egg foam. The air that gets trapped inside the egg foam expands in the oven and helps make the cake light and spongy. It is a bit more tricky making this cake than chiffon cake but the result is very rewarding!
In this recipe I used dry lavender instead of the more common vanilla extract to give it a different aroma. It gives the cake a very subtle scent.
Ingredients for a 8 inch spring form pan:
5 large eggs, room temperature 蛋,室溫
115g sugar 糖
105g cake flour, sifted 低筋粉,過篩
37g milk 牛奶
2 tbsp dried lavender 乾薰衣草
37g canola oil 芥花籽油
1) Soak lavender in milk for 30 minutes or more to allow the lavender and milk to infuse. Strain and reserve the milk.
2) Preheat oven to 350F.
3) Put eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Starting on medium speed in the first minute, increase the speed to high and beat for at least 10 minutes or until the volume increases to about 4-5 times the original.
5) Spoon out a few tablespoons of this batter and mix with the oil and reserved milk.
6) After mixing with the oil and milk, scoop the mixture back to the batter and fold gently until blended.
7) Pour into a non-greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Take the pan out and drop it onto the counter from 4 inches above.
8) Let it cool to room temperature on a rack before taking it out of the pan and serving.
1) Fresh lavender is a better choice than dried ones, if you have access to it. Buy dried flowers from food supply store. I got mine from Sprouts Farmer Market. Do not use those that are intended for air freshener use because they are not edible and have chemicals on them. For a stronger aroma, let it infuse in milk overnight in the refrigerator.
2) Do not try to beat the egg batter by hand. This whole egg method needs the help of an electric mixer, either a stand mixer or a hand held mixer. Beat a few extra minutes if using hand held. A good stable egg foam is critical.
3) After the addition of flour to the egg foam, the volume will dramatically reduce due to the extra weight.
4) Click here for more details of the drop pan method to prevent shrinkage.
4) 關於如何令蛋糕焗後減少回縮現狀,請點擊這裏 。