One hundred is a good number. This is my blog's 100th post. I have been thinking what I should post to celebrate the event....since I started with making bread, I should do it with bread.
I am not a cookbook reviewer nor a sales person, but when I use a recipe that I like, sharing with others is natural for me. I usually will check out the local library for cookbooks before buying it from a bookstore to keep in my personal library. Even though my local library has a large collection of cookbooks, Chinese cookbooks constitute a very small percentage. Recently I purchased some Chinese cookbooks from Hong Kong (thanks to my friend Jennifer who also got me a few other goodies from Hong Kong). Besides the book about making beautiful hand painted cake rolls, this is another one.
This book is about making bread from a cold 5°C pre-frement. A little bit of the dough is made and put in the refrigerator overnight to let the enzymes and microorganisms ample time to work on the molecules in the dough and develop more flavor, resulting in more aromatic and tasty bread.
I read recently that the bread you buy from supermarket often contain a dough conditioner that is made from human hair or duck feather !!! (click here to read more) Another good reason to make homemade bread ! Watch the following video (in Cantonese) :
Ingredients for a 11x4x4 inch pan
Dough for pre-fermenting:
150g unbleached bread flour
1g/ ⅛ tsp instant yeast
Mix up all the ingredients until blended, no need to knead. It should look soupy. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 16-24 hours.
all the pre-frement dough
350g unbleached bread flour
5g instant yeast
125g lukewarm water
15g milk powder
50g unsalted butter, room temperature
1) Mix all the ingredients, except the butter. Knead using a stand mixer for about 7 minutes or 15 minutes using human powder. Add butter and continue kneading until incorporated, 1-2 minutes.
1) Rolling up the doughs twice before putting them in the pan helps to develop a silkier texture.
2) If you're using a lidless pan, lower the baking temperature to 350F and the baking time to 35-40 mins.
3) It takes longer to rise than regular dough because the percentage of yeast is lower and the pre-frement period is cold. This long rise helps the dough to develop more flavor. Your patience will be rewarded.
剛剛讀到一則報導,指出在超市到處可買到的麵包,內裏的添加劑是用頭髮或鴨羽毛製做的,真令人毛骨悚然 !! 還是食自己做的健康及放心! 以下是香港無綫電視的一則報導:
重要發現:這冰種與湯種麵包一樣,不須要添加任何防腐或添加劑,室溫包好放上四日也能夠保持鬆軟!! 試試這個冰種啦 !!
1g/⅛ 茶匙 即溶酵母
1) 將所有材料(牛油後加)放入攪拌器(Stand Mixer)內攪約七分鐘,或用手搓十五分鐘,再加牛油,攪至完全混和。