Monday, May 29, 2017
Molasses Oats Bread 燕麥麵包
Molasses is a thick and sticky by-product of the sugar refining process. It is more nutritious than granulated sugar because it contains iron, vitamin B, calcium, and magnesium. Usually unsulfured molasses is used in baking or other cooking recipes. Avoid blackstrap, which can make the baked goods bitter. Oats are a common breakfast staple. Besides using it to make oat meal, it is widely used in baking such as bread, cookies, granola, etc. The molasses lend the bread a sweet flavor, moist crumb, and crunchy crust, and the oats compliment the bread by giving it a hearty texture. It is great toasted and spread with butter or used as sandwich bread.
Ingredients to make one round loaf:
187g/1½ cup rolled oats
205g/1½ cup bread flour
179g/1½ cup whole wheat flour
30g/¼ cup milk powder
385g/1½ cup+2 tbsp water
84g/¼ cup unsulfured molasses
7g/1 envelope instant yeast
2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
one egg white, slight beaten, for brushing
1) Bring water to a boil and pour onto 1 cup/125g oats. Stir to combine. Add molasses and let it sit until it comes to room temperature.
2) Grind the rest (half cup/63g) of the rolled oats in a food processor to a fine powder. Transfer to a bowl and mix with the other flour, wheat gluten, and milk powder.
3) Transfer the oat and molasses mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add yeast, the flour mixture, and salt.
4) Knead on low for about 5 minutes.
5) Let it ferment in a warm spot until it doubles in size.
6) Flatten the dough and shape into a ball, about 5.5 inches in diameter. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and let it rise a second time.
7) Preheat oven to 400F.
8) Brush the dough with slightly beaten egg whites. Sprinkle oats on top and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the temp to 350F and bake for another 40-45 minutes.
at 8:30 AM