1 chocolate sandwich cookie pie crust, 9 inches (see notes)
3 large eggs
3 tbsp sugar
¾ stick/85 g/3 oz unsalted butter
½ cup heavy whipping cream1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
255 g/9 oz bittersweet chocolate (up to 70%), finely chopped
1) In a medium saucepan, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil, then lower the heat until it simmers.
2) Put the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and use a hand whisk to beat. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan without it touching the water and continue to whisk the egg mixture until it reaches 160⁰F. This may take a few minutes.
4) Put the chocolate, butter and cream in a medium bowl and place it on top of the saucepan with the simmering water. Mix with a spatula until the chocolate and butter melt.
5) Add the chocolate mixture to the egg and beat on medium until it is well mixed. Scrape the bowl until no streaks of egg is visible. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
6) Pour onto the pie crust and smooth out the top. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until solidified.
1) The pie crust can be homemade or store bought. If you prefer homemade like me (no preservatives), put about 18 Oreo cookies in a bag and pound with a rolling pin or a meat tenderizer until it is finely grounded. Mix with 2 oz of melted butter and press onto a pie dish or tin using the back of a spoon. Bake at 350⁰F for 8-10 minutes and cool before using.